Monday, April 26, 2010

I Have a Date

Monday, May 3rd, 2010 at 7:30 AM. One week from today.

It's the 11th anniversary of my father succumbing to cancer and it's the date I start coming to work female.

At 11:08 AM this morning, I received an email from my supervisor which stated simply:

I'd like to meet with you today. Let me know when you have a few
minutes. Thanks.

Because I believe that face-to-face is better I walked the hallway to his office. Since his office is just a glorified cubicle with not-quite floor-to-ceiling walls and a door, we took the meeting to a nearby conference room.

He asked me about when I believed would be the best time to transition and I told him as soon as possible, but long enough to communicate with everyone and give them a chance to respond. He asked me if the 3rd, next Monday, was too soon. Assuring him it wasn't, we proceeded to go through the material he had gathered to present to my coworkers today and tomorrow, and discussed the bathroom issue. I told him I would conceed to a unisex bathroom for up to a month, because we are on the site of one of the branches of the US military. Afterward, I would expect to use the facility corresponding to my gender identity because anything else would be labeling and discriminatory, and I don't want anyone else to have to go through that.

From the meeting request, it looks like he is going to have one large mandatory meeting at 3:30 to 4 pm this afternoon, which prompted someone to blurt out, "Who's getting fired?" I think it would be best if I am not physically present when the meeting is over.

I'm feeling anxious. But it's not from fear, but instead from excitement. This is the same feeling that almost caused me to pass out at Vagina Monologues and at the probate court requesting my name change. Sandra gave me some herbal supplements to help block the anxiety.

Hugs and God Bless,
Sophie

1 comment:

  1. I am so thrilled for you.
    You are handling all this so well.
    x

    ReplyDelete