Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter (Bunny's Debut, and Mine, Too)

In the vision developed in this book, the Goddess is the power of intelligent embodied love that is the ground of all being.
- Carol P. Christ, Rebirth of the Goddess

My makeup is done, my hair fixed just so and in less than an hour, I'll be heading to the church for pancake breakfast served by the high school youth, my bunny ears in a bag and my script in my hand. I am wearing my chocolate brown spaghetti strap summer dress, with a taupe and white inverse leaf print button up short sleeve blouse over it, that is, the background is taupe and the leaf pattern in white.

After breakfast, while the middle school kids are searching for Easter eggs, I'll head to the library where I'll don my fluffy white bunny ears with pink lining, grab Bunny, and dance in the parade of characters doing a skip-hop-dance into the sanctuary. I'll hand Bunny to the minister (the nursery fairy) and hide behind the piano, where I'll provide the voice of the Velveteen Rabbit. I hope Bunny's not too nervous, since this is her first time on stage, and she has a lot of tough acting to do, being dragged by the ear, lovingly crushed where she can barely breathe, and being tossed across the stage. I'm sure she'll do fine. She was such a trooper during rehearsal yesterday. Then I will trade places with her for the magical moment of transformation, finish the play and give my own testimonial for being real. I hope Bunny doesn't feel like I'm stealing her spotlight.

Last night was a great night with TransKentucky. I can't tell you what gets discussed there, because we value the privacy of our members. Most girls are just finding their way out of the closet, with the door cracked open, but they are already looking so lovely. There are a couple veterans there, including myself--I can't believe that I am farther along than everyone I met! It speaks to the success of the group that most of the other veterans left the group because they were comfortable with themselves and no longer needed the support.

Dinner afterwards was very enjoyable. Of course, by then, it had been over 12 hours and my makeup was starting to wear off in patches. It was even worse after the hour drive back home. I suspect it's the increased dose of hormones, but whatever the reason, my voice was gentle all night long, and as a result in the lilting zone. I actually had to force it down on one occasion, when I was talking about no longer suppressing mannerisms. But I talked too much. The weather had turned chilly, and I couldn't seem to say good night. I met a couple more members and they were really sweet. I wish it wasn't such a long drive, but they are a good group of people to know.

I can't believe the weekend's almost over, when I am going to have to dress in men's clothes and bear being called by my old name and sir by my coworkers from 8 to 4. I did it for 28 years. I can hang in there a couple more weeks.

Hugs and God Bless,
Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment