Thursday, April 8, 2010

Eloquent Activist?

It's almost like a message from beyond.

I was twice referred to as eloquent between Monday and Tuesday. I was told that my testimony on Sunday was eloquent, and then Leslie used the same phrase in her blog a day or so later. I've never really considered myself so. I don't even really know what is required to be "eloquent." I know I spend a lot of time trying to get my words and thoughts to flow, and I know I chat a lot, and tend to be verbose. When you hear the same word you don't hear very often used twice by two different people in two different situations, you have to take notice.

The same thing happened with the word "activist." I arrived a little late for dinner at my church on Wednesday night, remembering it was my turn to do dishes, and Earl, an 80-year long-term member of the church who handles all the Sunday morning maintenance addressed me in the kitchen while I was cleaning up gave me a hug and said, "You are fast becoming our number one activist."

I thought to myself, how so? I didn't go lobbying the legislature in Frankfort or making speeches. Well, I did make one. It was only a short paragraph after I announced my transition and only to the congregation on Easter Sunday. I was pleading for awareness, not demanding change.

Yesterday, I responded to a topic post on makeup via the yahoo group for heterosexual crossdresser group back in Texas I used to attend. My "Big Sister" Tootsye, responded by telling me to drop by some time and she would like me to drop updates on how things are going. I told her that would be difficult, since the drive from Louisville to Fort Worth is killer, and I gave her a snapshot of all the activities that I am involved in. An activist herself, she responded that I "have developed into quite an effective activist for us in such a short time."

I thought an activist is someone who works for change, not someone with a lot of activities. I have a couple of weekly activities that are for me, but the rest is a simple response matching my availability to needs I am made aware which I can address. Is that activism?

Hugs and God Bless,
Sophie

5 comments:

  1. Sophie, I think we are activist if we are involved with groups of people. We don't have to be in people's faces, but just letting people see that we are pretty much like everyone else, just normal people being who we are.

    I really like the poetry, BTW. I started writing poetry to release ancient demons, and would write frequently during my transition period.

    Take Care and Peace
    Sarah, the other Auntee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a ton of poetry from my last ditch at self-denial. I am trying to branch away from transgender poetry. I also don't write as frequently because the conflict's really not there anymore.

    Hugs,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the way I feel, no conflict, little poetry gets written.

    I started writing as a way to purge my feelings about my year that I spent in Vietnam with the US Army. I follow that exorcism with my transitions and the fluctuating gender.

    Now I do others things to release my creative moods, like quilting.

    Peace,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, eloquent means being able to access the precise words to convey what you are thinking. And I stand by my assessment.

    As for activism, one changes hearts and minds by being present, involved, caring, and yes, eloquent. You, m'dear, qualify. I will never.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Leslie for such a positive assessment. When I told my counselor about this, she said, "You're also a theologian."

    Don't knock yourself. You can't know you'll "never" qualify until you've lived your life. A year and more ago, I claimed the same thing for myself, and I can definitely see you have the potential.

    Hugs,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete