Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Walk Like an Egyptian


Again, the girl at the left is not me, but the movement she's doing is the Egyptian.

Yesterday, we walked like an Eygptian--or an Egyptian Belly Dancer, that is. But before we did the Egyptian, we reviewed the Mayan and Taqsim hip movements. I discovered I was leaning too far back in my posture and need to slow my movements down a little so I can get a nice hip bounce.

We spent most of the rest of the class learning to travel with the Egyptian movement. It's comprised of a prep step, a toed, showgirl-like move, a twist and a final step. The movement is repeated on the other side and then you do the whole thing all over again. The Egyptian 2 adds another twist. The leg movements weren't that bad by themselves, but when we added in the arm movements, the synchronization got hard and the arms heavy. Each step in the movement, has a specific arm pose and the elbows remain above the shoulder the entire time. I found myself constantly forgetting to move the arms, while I focused on the steps.

We spent the last 5 minutes of class trying to cover snake arms: restricted and fluid. I'm not sure I got the restricted move at all and may sort-of have a little of the fluid style. I need to get some help from online videos.

It's 105 days left until surgery and I have my passport. It arrived in the mail today. I got back some of the documents, but I'm missing several of the originals I sent, including the court-ordered name change, the SRS recommendation from my counselor in Kentucky and the gender certification from my endocrinologist, also in Kentucky. The important part is the passport states female and is good until 2021.

There are two weeks and two days left until the opening night performance of The Vagina Monologues at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts. I'll be assisting in another monologue and I had to learn three words for vagina for it: poochie, laby and totita. It's going to be great! I'm looking forward to delivering my best for y'all.


Hugs and God Bless,
Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment