Wednesday, August 11, 2010

WInds of Change

I had fun doing Lindy Hop last night at the Riverbend Winery. My confidence was up and I asked several guys to dance. I had to stop about every third song to cool down and breathe as these guys took me through my paces :)

But about 48 minutes after the lessons themselves were over, I couldn't seem to cool down enough to dry the sweat drenching my forelocks (bangs). I knew that was a good signal to say my goodbyes and head home. As I stepped off the elevator, I realized I had to walk across the buffer area between a comedian and his audience. Immediately, I wished I would have used the stairs, which lead to a different door. He was in the middle of some baby joke when I slithered by. Once outside, I heard him say, "You'll miss all the entertainment." I just turned and waved as I continued to my car.

My job did not pan out as promised. I accepted the position almost a year ago because I was unemployed on the condition that it would either convert to permanent, or, if that failed, negotiate for a higher rate. When neither happened a few months ago, my request for a mild increase was denied and it appears that there is no hope for either permanency nor more pay despite the performance, the fact that I am not making enough to manage my current debts becomes the deal breaker.

While the company was good to let me seamlessly transition, the fact is I need to pay my bills, and I can't do it for much longer. So, at the beginning of August, I let myself go into passive-job-hunting mode. One recruiter contacted me for a position making significantly more than what I'm making now, and I, for once in what seems a liong time, was a match for the requirements. The employer wanted me to fill out a pre-screen questionaire about my previous experience, which I felt pretty comfortable answering, and read like a magazine interview when I submitted it. Over the last couple of days, he has submitted me as a candidate to:
  • An e-commerce company in Salt Lake City that specializes in helping brand name companies sell their merchandise when they have too much of it.
  • An e-commerce company in Seattle. This will be my fourth time up on this company. Last time I made it to the in-person interview, and it was the first and only company I interviewed presenting as female.
  • An e-commerce company in Las Vegas, where a number of TG ladies buy their shoes over the internet, which I found out, interestingly enough, is owned by the Seattle company.
I did not mention the company names for fear of triggering blog alerts within the companies themselves.

I have my injectable estrogen now. The prescription was written to dispense 10 months supply at a time. I paid an average of 18 dollars a month for the prescription, which is much cheaper that the 68 dollars a month I was paying for the inconvenient patch, which, by the way, floats embarassingly in swimming pools and bathtubs, when you're not having to keep it on with duct tape (Mark that down as another use for duct tape.)

My friend will be able to walk me through the process Thursday at the earliest. I am looking forward to being able to do this myself.

...which reminds me. I got the IRA application in the mail, and just need to return it with my signatures. Somehow, I completely forgot the mailbox on the way to work. Could it have been the speed bumps?

Hugs and God Bless,
Sophie

3 comments: